Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Antlers @ BU Central: A Lesson in Fucking Concert Etiquette

Perhaps "lesson" isn't the correct word, because I don't think the dumb bitch and her fucking dickhead boyfriend got anything but satisfaction and a good laugh out of drunkenly lurching in front of my girlfriend and I while I was blatantly trying to film The Antlers's set at Boston University about an hour ago.

Here's a tip for anyone experiencing their first few months without a curfew who plans on going to a show and mingling with people who've already learned how to be civilized members of society: Don't pregame before going to see one of the world's mellowest bands in a tiny room essentially in the basement of a classroom building and deliberately obstruct the views of a notoriously cynical first-semester senior with a largely dormant but easily triggered anger problem, because most of them don't have their cool-headed girlfriends with them to stop them from knocking your fucking lights out.

It would be one thing if we were at a Glassjaw show at the House of Blues, but I've seen dorm rooms bigger than that little room in BU Central, and crowds more active in planning board meetings. Don't get me wrong...despite the the modest stomach pangs I get from seeing 35 of the 50 heads in the room only partially covered with the exact same grey beanie from Urban Outfitters, I was impressed with how focused on and interested in the music--imagine that?--going on onstage. The other people around me saw me filming and were more than reasonably willing to pinch the empty space a little to make room for two more. If we can all stand in the front row, why not, right?

If you're waiting in the front row, even in standing room, before a band takes the stage, you've earned that spot until you go take a piss. And if the other people around you are really fucking cool, you may even be able to keep it once you get back. If you get trashed before a fucking Antler's show like you're going to see Of Montreal or Chromeo or some shit, and then say to yourself, "Fuck these rational, civilized, young adults standing a foot or so in front of the stage...that's just enough room to fuck up their night."

I realize it's not such a huge deal that I should have walked away from the situation punching the shit out of my left hand with my right (better my palm than the dude's cheekbone, though, right?), but a certain demographic's total disregard for concert etiquette has, consciously or subconsciously, sharply reduced the number of shows I've been excited to attend in recent years. I'd almost have to go back to my crowd-surfing, fist-pounding high school shithead days to recount the last time I felt I was around somewhat fully evolved human beings at a show. And maybe that's only because I was that dickhead stepping in front of people...but those were different times, different venues, and a different kind of music. Anyone who reads my work on this blog knows I use it to take the edge off my frustration. This is years of frustration.

So here's the video I got of the show--the intro and most of the first verse of the first song, "Kettering." If you listen closely at the end, you can hear me yelling, "Are you fucking serious?" We left the show after about five songs, four-and-a-half of which we "watched" from the back of the room.


For what it's worth, The Antlers sounded great. Unfortunately, that's the only semblance of a concert review I can write. Go out and grab Hospice...it's a very good record. I have a feeling that couple hadn't heard it.

Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree? Disagree? Tell us, we can handle it.

Search This Blog