Saturday, March 27, 2010

Blood No Longer Pumping

Tonight, I experienced musical heartbreak. A year ago I fell in love with a band called Yeasayer. Their debut album All Hours Cymbals was an intoxicating collection of consonant chords, full rhythms, and organic melodies. With mix of middle eastern and pop influences, their music was unique and hopeful. I fell hard.

Tonight, with their second full length LP released, Yeasayer performed a free set at Northeastern University. With each band member sporting a fresh hair cut and tailored outfit, Yeasayer transformed into everything I despise. They opened with "The Children" and secured the fear I anticipated with ODDBLOOD.

Every song was synthetically overpowered, falling under influence of other current Brooklyn Indie bands. With only three songs played from All Hours, Yeasayer failed to even try and keep their old untouched sound. Like polyester, their new identity is itchy and uncomfortably tacky.

Advice from an old lover: Break free of peer pressure and go back to smoking tons of weed. Lay off the coke and cheesy 80's synths. RUN FAR AWAY FROM BROOKLYN!




"I can’t sleep when I think about the times we’re living in,
I can’t sleep when I think about the future I was born into,"




Why break what wasn't broken?
This is Yeasayer in their young and uncorrupt days.



-Margaret

No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree? Disagree? Tell us, we can handle it.

Search This Blog